4.17.2008

Save Me a Seat!

Growing up I lived on the outskirts of town on a small street. Our little road held twelve house and each of those homes held few children. The children that did live in my neighborhood were all boys. Each morning I would walk to the bus stop only to find rowdy loud boys running, jumping and throwing rocks. Once the bus arrived I would climb on board and take a seat furthest away from all of the noise. As I rode to school I would sit in my seat and imagine what it would be like to have a girlfriend on my bus route. I imagined her saving me a seat and waving me over to join her. We could whisper and laugh together until we reached the school gates. It was never to happen, no girls ever moved into my neighborhood and I rode the bus alone. I know whoa is me...can you believe I survived to tell the tale?

Fast forward 25 years and I am climbing aboard another big yellow bus and as I turned to make it down the long aisle I heard, "We saved you a seat!" and I saw these two smiling faces shinning up at me:



We all had a great time laughing and whispering together on the ride to Elise’s 3rd grade field trip. When we pulled up to the gate of the park Elise asked how we had gotten there so quickly. I wondered the same thing. I guess sometimes you do get your wish you just have to wait awhile before it comes true!

We all climbed off the bus and met the docents to learn all about the Michuchumash Native Americans.



Elise learned how hard it was to grind acorns into powder (one of the main sources of the Chumash diet):


Playing a Chumash "dice" and string game:




"If its three leave it be - If its hairy its a berry!"


What good listeners!


Chumash Baby Carrier:


Enjoying the sun and wind with some friends after lunch:


Elise had so much fun that she said she wished the day would never end!

No comments: